Summary of Leahy Visit 9/9/2019
Representatives of the community are presenting to Senator Patrick Leahy this document which contains 1) evidence of corruption in the F-35 Burlington basing selection process, 2) a “Declaration of F-35 Immoralities,” and 3) a demand to delay the F-35 basing until six conditions are satisfied.
The records show that Senator Leahy acted deceptively during the F-35 basing selection process by pressuring and ultimately succeeding in getting the Air Force leadership to violate established basing selection guidelines designed in part to protect civilian populations. As a result of his actions thousands of Vermonters, including a disproportional number of people of color (or “minorities” as the Air Force designates them) and people of low income will be trapped in an area that multiple federal agencies deem unfit for residential use. Studies identified by the Air Force report that the effects of the kind of noise produced by the F-35 can lead to significant physical and economic harms.
The document, “Leahy’s Legacy of F-35 Lies and Corruption” that follows shows that
1. Senator Leahy, despite telling the public that he “made no attempt to influence the process,” made dozens of contacts with the Air Force (at least 54 entries are listed in court documents) in an effort to influence the basing process; and
2. Senator Leahy lied repeatedly to the Air Force and to the people of Vermont; and
3. Senator Leahy made multiple, sometimes successful, attempts to coerce the Air Force to falsify data; and
4. Senator Leahy expressed concern that the corruption of the basing process, in which he was the leading player, would be revealed to the public; and
5. Senator Leahy, in spite of “overwhelming evidence” that led the Air Force to conclude that Burlington was the wrong place to base the F-35, exerted so much pressure on the Air Force leadership that they ignored the facts, over-ruled their experts, and chose Burlington.
Senator Leahy corrupted the F-35 basing process in a successful effort to bring a weapon of mass destruction to a neighborhood in South Burlington, Vermont. His disgraceful actions will impact thousands of his constituents. His blatant abuse of power, and his efforts to hide and distort the truth are immoral. Unless this is corrected, he will be forever remembered for using his prestige and power to put children at risk for health and learning impairments, for risking multiple health problems for adults, for being the cause of families being forced to move from their homes, and for causing the destruction of homes, and the upheaval — and possible elimination — of entire neighborhoods.